Monday, March 02, 2009

exit stage right

This was a time consuming walk cycle that had to be done, just to get the character to exit the scene. This was also far more challenging than any walk cycle I have ever done. My first attempt used only symbols and tweening in flash. I did not like it at all. It looked mechanical and lifeless. Next, I tried to draw it with the brush tool in flash. But without a Cintiq, and only a wacom tablet I could not get perfect accuracy on my lines and inbetweens. So what I ended up doing was roughing in the walk cycle with the brush, it was okay to be off in the rough. Then I used symbols only where neccessary and manually drew the rest with the line tool. It was a lot of work. But it was worth it. There was an old Flintstones episode with a character, either Cary Granite or Rock Quarry or some other movie star of the time, and he had the craziest walk cycle ever! His legs did all kinds of wonky bending, but it worked. I wanted a bit of that in Pee Brain's walk cycle, but slower. A retarded looking walk cycle for a retarded clone character.

No comments: